Fees & Frequently Asked Questions





What is the fee for a new license?


Assembly Bill (AB) 486 - fee changes;   Senate Bill (SB) 67 - mandates licensees establish and maintain a valid electronic mail address. 

            * $50 License Affiliation Fee may be applicable.  

  • Producer = $185* 
  • Consultant = $185*  
  • Motor Club Agent = $138* 
  • Fraternal Agent = $185* 
  • Surplus Lines Broker = $185* 
  • Reinsurance Intermediary Broker = $185* 
  • Bail Agent = $185* 
  • Bail Solicitor = $185* 
  • Bail Enforcement = $185* 
  • GA for Bail = $185* 


  • Title Agency = $185 
  • Title Agent = $185* 
  • Escrow Officer = $185* 
  • Funeral Seller = $185 
  • Cemetery Seller = $185 
  • Funeral Agent = $185* 
  • Cemetery Agent = $185* 

  • MGA = $185* 
  • Independent Adjuster = $185* 
  • Associate Adjuster = $185* 
  • Public Adjuster = $185* 
  • Motor Vehicle Damage Appraiser = $185* 

  • Broker of Viatical Settlements = $560 
  • Broker Registration for Viatical Settlements = $310 
  • Provider of Viatical Settlements = $1,060 
  • External Review Organization (gen) = $460 
  • External Review Organization (w/c) = $660 

How do I get a Resident Nevada License?

  • Must be 18 years of age or older.
  • Must be a resident of Nevada.
  • Must complete pre licensing requirements of 20 hours per line
  • Must take and pass any applicable licensing examination.
  • Submit an application and appropriate licensing fees online at SIRCON or NIPR.
  • All initial resident license applicants must be fingerprinted.

How long is a pre licensing certificate good for?

2 years

How long are electronic fingerprints, completed at Pearson Vue testing center good for?

6 months

How long is an electronic Sircon application good for (in other words, how long will it sit outstanding in your system without supplemental application items being submitted, before you purge the application and forfeit the fees)?

10 days

If someone receives a background hit, how much time do they have to submit their statement and documentation to Nevada Division of Insurance before you purge their file and forfeit the application fees?

10 days

Who do I make checks payable to?

Fees are payable by personal check, company check, cashier’s check or money order. Fees are payable to the Nevada Division of insurance. Fees are deemed earned upon receipt and may not be refunded.

How do I get a Non-Resident License?

Must be licensed in good standing in home state for all lines for which you are applying, and submit an application and appropriate licensing fees online at SIRCON or NIPR.

Can I apply for a Non-Resident License on-line?

Yes. You can online at SIRCON or NIPR.

If I add a line of authority to an existing license, does it change my expiration date?

No. Adding a line of authority is not adding an additional license. You are amending an existing license; therefore the expiration date does not change.

I want to license my agency. Do I have to keep my individual license? Why do I need both?

Yes, because an agency may only operate through a licensed natural person. In order for an agency to function it must have a licensed individual to act on behalf of the agency.

Is an appointment with an insurer or affiliation with an agency required in order to obtain/ hold a license?

No. Appointments and/ or designations are not required to obtain or maintain an insurance license. However, the producer is not able to sell, solicit, negotiate or bind insurance without either an appointment or affiliation.

Can an agency license remain active if there are no licensed individuals affiliated to that license?

No, the agency must have a designated producer for all lines of authority that the agency holds.

Can an individual who holds a full lines license sell credit insurance?

Yes. A holder of any of the full lines (Life, Health, P/C) can sell any credit insurance applicable to the full line license that is held.

Is an agent required to notify the department of an address change, and if so, how long does the agent have to notify the department of the change?

All address changes are required to be reported to the division within 30 days of the change. This includes home, business, mailing addresses, and email as well as phone numbers. All changes should be completed electronically through SIRCON or NIPR and must be done by the license holder only. This applies to both individuals and agencies.

How long are test scores valid after passing the exam?

Test scores are valid for 2 years after passing the exam. After 2 years the exam is no longer valid and must be re-taken.

After I submit my license application and test scores how can I verify the status of my license application?

You may utilize the Division's Nevada License Lookup Tool. Once your license has been processed, it will appear there. License application status may also be checked on SIRCON under the link ‘Check license application status’ or on NIPR under 'Transaction Search.'

*Once the license is approved, the license can be printed from SIRCON, using the ‘Print a license’ link. 

Electronic applications and renewals are reviewed and processed on a priority basis. Most electronic submissions are processed within 5 business days. The review and processing time for paper submissions depends on current workload. Please allow a four week review time for application and renewal submissions. Specialty License types review and processing time varies depending on the complexity of the application type.

Does a person have to be licensed to receive a commission?

Yes, they must be a licensed producer. Only those who are legally licensed and hold the same lines of authority for the type of policy sold can receive any portion of a commission from a sale of insurance.

If you find yourself answering yes to the questions indicated below, a license is more than likely required. 

Nevada’s laws and regulations are located on the Legislative website at www.leg.state.nv.us. Title 57 of the Nevada Revised Statutes (“NRS”) governs the business of insurance. Chapter 683A governs persons involved in the sale or administration of insurance.

  • NRS 683A.065 “Negotiate” defined.
  • NRS 683A.072 “Sell” defined.
  • NRS 683A.074 “Solicit” defined.
  • NRS 683A.201 License required; exemption for insurers; administrative fine.
  • NRS 683A.211 Persons exempt from licensing.
  • NRS 683A.325 Commissions and compensation.
  • NRS 683A.361 Payment, acceptance and assignment of commissions, brokerage, fees for service and other valuable considerations

Questions to ask yourself:

  1. Do I need a license or am I performing a task that requires a license? NRS 683A.201
  2. How do I know if I am exempt from having a license? NRS 683A.211 
  3. How am I being paid, is it considered receiving commissions or compensation? See NRS 683A.325 and NRS 683A.361
  4. If you are still confused about whether or not you need a license, ask yourself what happens if I don’t have a license and one is required. See NRS 683A.201(3), transacting insurance business without a license could result in administrative action additionally, to do so may also constitute a violation of NRS 686A, the Unfair Trades Practices Act.

(back to top)


How often do I renew my insurance license?

Licenses are renewed every three years and expire on the last day of the month, with the exception of Utilization Review, which is renewed annually.

When does my continuing education need to be complete?

All CE’s should be completed before submitting the renewal application. The required CE hours must be completed prior to renewing the license. A license renewal will not renew if the CE requirement has not been met.

*All CE must be posted by the provider before a renewal will be processed. Time must be allowed for this process; therefore we recommend not waiting until the last minute to renew the license.

Is a limited license producer required to complete continuing education?


Is an agency required to have continuing education?

No. Only individuals are required to complete continuing education for license renewals.

What is the cost to renew a license?

See “What is the fee for a new license?”

Does a producer have to re-test or be fingerprinted if his license lapses?

The license may be reinstated within a 30 days period after the license expires by complete the required 30 hours of CE, 3 of which must be in ethics, and pay the late fee of $62.50 in addition to the renewal fee.

A producer reinstating a lapsed license within one year of the license expiration date must complete the required 30 hours of CE, 3 of which must be in ethics, and pay the application fee and a late fee of $125. They also must be re-fingerprinted. 

After one year, the person will have to re-apply as a new license applicant, including passing any required examination and being fingerprinted for a criminal background check.

What if a producer wants to add or drop a line of authority before he renews his license?

A producer who drops a line of authority will still be required to complete the required 30 hours of CE (3 for Bail) hours and pay the renewal fee in order to renew the license. To add the line of authority at a later date, the licensee must then pay an additional $50 fee. If it is added beyond one year from the date, the licensee must re-test for the line of authority and pay the $50 fee.

How can I obtain a current list of active CE providers and courses?

  • Go to www.sircon.com/Nevada.
  • Click on Look up education courses/credits.
  • Click on Continuing Education Transcripts.
  • Look up Approved CE Courses Inquiry.

Can all the continuing education hours be done either on line or through home study methods?

Yes, as long as the provider is a Nevada approved. For a list of providers go to

  • Go to www.sircon.com/Nevada.
  • Click on Look up education courses/credits.
  • Click on Continuing Education Transcripts.
  • Look up Approved CE Courses Inquiry.

How far back can I start using my C.E. credits?

You may start using C.E. credits completed one day after the expiration/ renewal date to count towards your next renewal. Even if you renewed the license before the expiration date, you must still wait until after the last renewal period ends before you start taking classes for the next renewal.

How do I renew my license?

Resident or Non-resident individuals and agencies can renew online at SIRCON or NIPR

You will need a VISA or MasterCard to renew your license online.

If you have not received your renewal notice, it may be because you have failed to update your address on-line. Please be sure to update your address on the on-line renewal application.

(back to top)


How long after I have a change of address must it be reported to the department?

It must be reported within 30 days. The address update includes an email address update. The Commissioner may revoke the license of a licensee for failing to notify the Commissioner of a change of address.

How can I go about changing the address on my license?

You can update your address online at SIRCON or NIPR.

How do I request a letter of certification?

If another state requires one, the licensee can obtain it electronically through SIRCON.

How do I get a Letter of Clearance when moving to another state?

A Letter of Clearance may be requested when the resident producer is leaving the state and wishes to be licensed in another state.

At this time, clearance letter requests are not available through SIRCON or NIPR. To obtain a Letter of Clearance, please submit the Clearance Letter Form DOC 323 by faxing to 775-687-0797 or emailing it to us.

When we issue the letter of clearance, it will take your Nevada license down. You won’t be able to have a non-resident license in Nevada until you get your license in your new state.

How do I transfer my out of state license to Nevada?

Submit an application along with a Letter of Clearance from your resident state and have fingerprints done.

How do I get a hard copy of my license?

The Nevada Division of Insurance will mail out a hard copy of your new or renewed license. To obtain a duplicate, you can print it yourself by going to SIRCON, and clicking on the link entitled "Print Your License."

You can print your license as soon as it has been issued. To see if a new or renewal license has been approved and issued you can either:

  1. Go to SIRCON, and click on "Check license application status" or "Check license renewal status"; or you can
  2. Use the Division's website and click on the Verify a License link on the homepage.

What is the physical address of the Nevada Division of Insurance?

The Nevada Division of Insurance physical address is:

1818 East College Pkway, Ste 103

Carson City, NV 89706 

The Producer Licensing of the Nevada Division of Insurance is located on the first floor of the Erwin Financial Building, west of the Sonic restaurant, in Carson City Nevada.

What is the phone number, fax number and e-mail address for the Producer Licensing Division?

Phone is (775) 687-0700

Licensing Fax number is (775) 687-0797

E-mail address  

What is the best way to obtain forms from the department?

License applications and forms are available on the division's website under all forms and docs. They may also be located through the hyperlinks included in the license application instructions. Whenever possible the Division encourages online processes to streamline the process.

What is the turnaround time for most requests?

Most requests are processed within 5-10 business days, once all required information is received.

Can I pay for my renewal over the phone with a credit card number?

No. Renewals are completed online at SIRCON or NIPR. You will enter your credit card information at the end of the application.

How do I find out if my license has been approved or renewed?

The information is available free of charge under the License Search link on our home page. If you are a subscriber to SIRCON or NIPR, you can get the information on their websites.

I am an adjuster in my home state, but my state does not require a license. Can I be licensed in Nevada?

Independent and Public Adjusters are required to be licensed in Nevada. The guidelines are as follows:

If the resident state DOES license for the adjuster license, we will generally have reciprocity with that state and will issue a license based upon your compliance with your resident state. Applications are completed electronically via SIRCON or NIPR

If your resident state DOES NOT license adjusters, you will need to designate a resident home state. We will issue a license if you either pass our exam or have passed in another state. The option to apply electronically is not available; therefore you must submit the NAIC Uniform Application.

What is the Producer Database (PDB)?

The PDB is an electronic database consisting of information relating to insurance agents and brokers (producers), accessible through NIPR on a subscription basis through the Internet. PDB links state regulatory licensing systems into one common system establishing a repository of producer licensing information. PDB also contains or references producer information from sources such as the NAIC’s Regulatory Information Retrieval System (RIRS). Its development is based in part on the belief that widespread availability of such information will make it more difficult for a producer with a significant disciplinary history to continue illegal or unethical practices.

What information may be found through the PDB?

The PDB contains licensing demographics including names, dates of births, addresses, license summaries, license numbers, issue dates, expiration dates, lines of authority, appointment information and regulatory actions.

How do I obtain a PDB printout?

To obtain your own PDB printout, you will need to complete a Producer Request Form, found through the PDB section of the NIPR web site. This is a fee-for-service look-up

What is the National Producer Number (NPN)?

The NPN is a number which identifies each licensee in the PDB. The NPN number helps identify the licensee without using the individual’s Social Security Number.

(back to top)