Frequently Asked Questions

I am forming a small business in Nevada.  Am I required to have Workers’ Compensation insurance?

Please contact the Division of Industrial Relations Workers’ Compensation or email wcshelp@business.nv.gov

Our business is moving to Nevada.  How does a company obtain workers’ compensation insurance in Nevada? 

Nevada is not a monopolistic state; workers’ compensation coverage may be obtained by:
  •  Contacting an agent or broker regarding a policy
  •  Contacting a self-insured group
  •  Becoming a self-insured employer
  •  Contacting the high-risk pool

We are an employer that needs temporary workers' compensation coverage while on a short-term project. Who can I contact with questions?

Mandatory employer coverage compliance inquiries should be directed to wcshelp@dir.nv.gov or the Division of Industrial Relations at (702) 486-9080. 

I can’t get workers’ compensation insurance; does Nevada have a high-risk pool?  

The NCCI Assigned Risk pool is available for mandatory workers’ compensation coverage.  Any producer that is authorized to write casualty coverage can apply for coverage through these plans; producers are encouraged to contact NCCI directly at 1-800-622-4123. Applicants must have at least two refusals in the standard market.  

Who can help me with claims handling requirements? 

For questions regarding the claims handling process, including the timely delivery of workers’ compensation benefits or employer claims requirements, please contact the Division of Industrial Relations

How can I verify WC coverage?

  •  Use the Self-Insured Employer Company List for self-insured employers,
  •  Look up self-insured employers or their subsidiaries using the Self-Insured Employer look-up tool,
  •  Check the Association List for employers who are members of a self-insured group,
  •  Look up individual members of a self-insured association using the Association Member look-up tool, or
  •  Use the Coverage Verification tool on the Division of Industrial Relations website to look up employers who have purchased coverage from a carrier. You may look up employers using their names or FEINs. 

Can I obtain a list of insurers who write workers’ compensation in Nevada?  

Use the look-up tool Workers’ Compensation Insurers. Please note that the list generated by the look-up tool includes all insurers licensed to write worker’s compensation in Nevada; inclusion on the list does not mean that the insurer is currently writing workers’ compensation policies. 

Can I obtain a list of TPAs who administer workers' compensation in Nevada? 

TPAs must hold specific qualifications in order to administer various types of insurance.  A TPA3-SF Employer/WC qualification allows a TPA to administer claims for a self-insured employer.  A TPA4-Workers’ Compensation qualification allows a TPA to administer policies on behalf of an insurer.  Use the TPA-Workers’ Comp Qualifications  lookup tool to select the qualification(s) and generate a list of TPAs.

NRS 616B.448(3) requires that the self-insured employer inform DOI and DIR about intended changes in its TPA in writing before changing TPAs. To Whom do I send this notification?

Written notice should be sent to siemail@doi.nv.gov.

What documentation is required after changes in an SIE’s security deposit? 

The required documentation depends on the type of deposit. A change to a:
  • Certificate of Deposit requires a hold funds letter and deposit receipt. 
  • Letter of Credit requires the original LOC or original Amendment. 
  • Bond requires the original rider for an existing bond or original bond for new bond. 

Who do I contact regarding rules, rates, forms or NCCI questions? 

For inquiries regarding the review and approval of workers’ compensation policy rates, language, composition and format as well as collecting quarterly and annual financial statements from private workers’ comp insurers, please contact the Division’s Property and Casualty Section at pcinsinfo@doi.nv.gov.

Who can I speak to regarding workers’ compensation qualification codes? 

Please contact Erin Summers in the Property and Casualty section at 775.687.0765 or NCCI at 1-800-622-4123.

How do I file a complaint against my employers' private self-funded health plan? 

These ERISA plans are under the jurisdiction of the federal Department of Labor. Please contact the Employee Benefits Security Administration

How do I report workers’ compensation fraud? 

Please contact the Attorney General’s Workers’ Compensation Fraud Unit

I'm a former self-insured employer. Who can I contact with questions? 

Please contact siemail@doi.nv.gov 

Can my company have workers' compensation coverage through a captive?

No, captives are prohibited from writing first-dollar workers' compensation but may write excess workers' compensation for their parent and affiliated companies and may also reinsure self-insured pursuant to NRS 694C.300.