Temporary Emergency Adjuster for Catastrophe Claims (Available July 1, 2018)

License Required 

A non-salaried individual (aka independent contractor) acting on behalf of an insurer to adjust losses arising from a catastrophe (as declared by the Governor) must obtain a license as a Temporary Emergency Adjuster prior to or within 5 days of being deployed.

An individual who already holds a license in Nevada as an independent adjuster for property and casualty insurance is not required to obtain a temporary emergency adjuster license.

No license is required for an individual who is employed (paid a salary) by an insurer.  Note that company adjusters are not required to be licensed in Nevada, even without a catastrophe being declared by the Commissioner.

License Type and Line of Authority 

The license type is: Temporary Emergency Adjuster

The line of authority is: Property and Casualty

License Term and Renewal 

  • The license term is 90 days, unless extended by the Commissioner. 
  • This license is not renewable and expires at the end of the 90-day term or the extension thereof. 

Qualifications for Temporary Emergency Adjuster License 

An individual seeking a Temporary Emergency Adjuster License must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older.
  • Be competent, trustworthy, financially responsible and of good reputation, as determined by the Commissioner
  • Never have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
    • Forgery
    • Embezzlement
    • Obtaining money under false pretenses,
    • Larceny
    • Extortion
    • Conspiracy to defraud
  • Not have committed any act that is grounds for refusal of a license pursuant to Nevada law.


All fees paid to the Nevada Division of Insurance are nonrefundable.

  • Initial Application total:  $185 
    • This fee consists of the $60 Administration and Enforcement fee and the $125 licensing fee. 

Payments may be made by check, money order, or Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).  Please make checks and money orders payable to the Nevada Division of Insurance.  Please contact the Accounting Section at ifn@doi.nv.gov to request the required EFT form.

How to Apply for a License 

Prior to or within 5 days of being deployed:

  • Electronically apply through Sircon or NIPR for a Temporary Emergency Adjuster License; 
  • Submit the application fee; and 
  • On the application, include the name and date of the catastrophe and the loss control number. 

Proof of Licensure 

A Temporary Emergency Adjuster must keep copy of the license on his or her person at all times while acting in Nevada.

Extension of License Term 

The insurance company may ask the Commissioner for an extension of the license for additional 90-day periods.

Record Retention 

Each adjuster must:

  • Keep a record of transactions under the license, including: 
    • A copy of all investigations or adjustments; 
    • A copy of each contract between the adjuster and an insurer; and 
    • A statement of any fee, commission or other compensation for each investigation or adjustment. 
  • Maintain records of investigations and adjustments for three (3) years from the date the claim is closed, or longer, if required by the contract with the insurer.  

Adjuster Code of Ethics 

  • Each adjuster must follow the Adjuster Code of Ethics: 
  • An adjuster shall be honest and fair in all communications with the insured, the insurer and the public. 
  • An adjuster shall give policyholders and claimants prompt, knowledgeable service and courteous, fair and objective treatment at all times. 
  • An adjuster shall not give legal advice and shall not deal directly with any policyholder or claimant who is represented by legal counsel without the consent of the legal counsel involved. 
  • An adjuster shall comply with all local, state and federal privacy and information security laws, when applicable. 
  • An adjuster shall identify himself or herself as an adjuster and, if applicable, identify his or her employer when dealing with a policyholder or claimant. 
  • An adjuster shall not have any financial interest in any adjustment or acquire for himself or herself or any person any interest or title in salvage without first receive in written authority from the principal. 

Legal Authority 

Temporary Emergency Adjusters are regulated under the provisions of chapter 684A of the Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) and chapter 684A of the Nevada Administrative Code (NAC).